Monday, January 13, 2014

Unsubscribe All


In an effort to actually succeed with my current shopping ban, I have been mass-unsubscribing to retailer mailing lists. After Christmas I realized that I was receiving over 100 shopping-related emails per day; every store I shop at, every website I bought a gift from, even brands that I’ve never purchased, but didn’t want to forget about, they all send me emails. Knowing myself as well as I do I know that if I don’t see the deals, I’m much less likely to look for them and so my mission to unsubscribe began.

Some retailers took the ‘either you’re in or you’re out’ stance and so I opted out. Each time I would see some sort of “we’re sorry to see you go message,” which got me thinking, if they’re so sorry to see me go, then they should come up with more options for me to stay. For almost every brand that offered to consolidate their emails to weekly, bi-weekly or better yet monthly, I decided to stay on the mailing list. My personal favorite was Shop It To Me – a website that send you deals based on the sizes and the brand preferences you provide – which allowed me to put my daily email on hold for up to a year! Not that I got that crazy – this shopping ban is only supposed to last until my birthday in June, so I chose to defer for 6 months.)

I’m a brand-loyal type of gal; even if I’m not shopping I want to stay up to date with what’s going on with my favorite stores and I appreciate any brand that doesn’t need to bombard my inbox daily. I’m confident in our relationship, so the brand should be too. I guess what I’m saying to most brands is, I think I need some space because I’m just not that into you.

No comments:

Post a Comment