Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Because I'd Rather Wine than Whine...

In addition to fashion and writing I also love food and wine. As you all know, I've got Saks taste on an Off 5th budget, and that applies to shopping across the board, so I love it when I find a nice bottle of inexpensive wine.

It's safe to assume that we share some interests, so if wine is one of them, read on.

A few months ago I enjoyed a fabulous dinner at a little neighborhood restaurant called Snaps. They serve New American cuisine for affordable prices and, naturally, the wine list to match. This night in particular my dining partner and I enjoyed a Waterbrook Columbia Valley Melange Noir, which is a varietal blend of 40% Merlot, 31% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Sangiovese, 13% Cabernet Franc, 1% Various varieties. It was light and tasty, a bit berry, a bit spicy, and it went well with both of our meals.

Since we liked it, and I talk even more than I write, we told the waitress how much we liked it and she recommended a similar wine called 7 Daughters, which is also a blend. After describing how wonderfully delicious and inexpensive the wine was, she ended our convo by telling us that neither wine is particularly easy to find. Wonderful.

So this past week, months after that dinner, I found both the white and red blends - in two different shops! The white I found on a Friday night at a little wine shop near Tudor City in Manhattan. The blurb on the side says that the seven types of grapes are like seven girlfriends getting together, each bringing something different to make the perfect blend and since I was visiting with my college roommates, what could be better?

Composed of French Colombard, Chardonnay, Riesling, Symphony, Orange Muscat, Gewürztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc, it was light and a bit sweet, but not too fruity, which is good because I like a more acidic white and we drank it in a flash.

Monday my mother and I were at a local liquor store on Long Island when we came across the red. They had both blends, but lately all my mom drinks is red, so that's what we went with. The red is a blend of French Colombard, Chardonnay, Riesling, Symphony, Orange Muscat, Gewürztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc and it comes across as light without being too fruity and a tiny bit of a dry aftertaste, but still delicious, especially for around $12.00.

The Seven Daughters website is really cute too. They suggest different Girls Night activities at which you can enjoy their wines, restaurants where you can find them, and even silly blurbs about things like how to be more photogenic.

So sit down, grab a glass, and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment