Saturday, July 10, 2010

Regulating Rompers

Last night on my train ride from Long Island to NYC two girls got on one stop after me and both of them were in rompers. The first girl, who was more petite and wore the style better, had on a purple and white patterned strapless romper in a dressier fabric (perhaps charmeuse?). The second girl, who really wasn't built to be wearing a romper in the first place, let alone a cheap ill-fitting, wore a black romper with a floral print in a decidedly more casual fabric (pretty sure it was cotton).

For starters, did they not call each other to discuss what they were wearing? It's not like they were both wearing dresses, rompers are far more distinguishable. Granted they were different patterns and color schemes, but the cut and lengths were extremely similar.

But allow me to get to my real argument: Rompers are not for everyone and they're not for every activity. Just because they're on trend right now does not mean that they're appropriate for a night out.

You still need to consider fabrics, patterns, and accessories. A silk romper, by say Geren Ford or Haute Hippie, could certainly be worn with heels for a night out in the city, but save the cotton for the beer gardens, block parties, and other activities of the like and, please, wear them with flats. Maybe you can get away with heels with a more polished cotton, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Now for the second part of my argument: the logistics of wearing a romper on a night out drinking. Every time you go to the bathroom you have to totally disrobe and, I'm guessing, the fine establishments these, seemingly under-aged, girls were headed to were not going to have the most pristine restrooms. So now you're drunk and getting almost totally undressed and you're outfit is hitting the nasty bathroom floor. That's just not a chance I'd be willing to take.

So it's not that I'm anti-romper, I'm actually quite pro-romper when worn correctly. But that's how I feel about any item of clothing. So I guess my point is more about appropriate dressing in general rather than rompers specifically. I just think the recent popularity of rompers is highlighting how one a trend hits the mainstream there is always the possibility of it being abused.

No comments:

Post a Comment