Friday, July 9, 2010

For Hire

So by now, if you're reading this blog semi-regularly, you know a couple of things about me; I'm into fashion, I'm looking for a job, I love to write, I always appreciate a good sale and I value a dollar, and I'm passionate about all of these things. If I could find a job that combines all of them it would make me extremely happy.

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck on the job search front and right now I am extremely frustrated.

Each day I come into work and check my Monster.com job search e-mail, then I check Ed2010.com's Whisper Jobs, then I check Mediabistro.com, and I usually check Craigslist and Indeed.com too.

As I apply to these positions I try not to be pessimistic and think how they're probably just posting the position because they have to legally, but they're really planning on promoting from within.

I also try not to get my hopes up about a job I feel I would be perfect for because, while I may know it in my head, maybe I didn't tweak my resume just right so it shows up on paper that I would be the best fit.

When I don't hear anything I try to cheer myself up by thinking positively; Sure, I've been out of the game for awhile, but hopefully someone who was unemployed and was more qualified and needed it more than me got the position.

But to be honest, I'm just disheartened. I'm a hard worker. I've tried writing 'out of the box' cover letters, I've tried using my connections, I've been applying to jobs in various fields consistently, so when is someone going to call me for an interview?!

Oftentimes I find myself thinking that I am not where I thought I'd be, where I'm supposed to be, but I'm still not entirely sure of where that is exactly. Maybe it's just 'anywhere but here' syndrome, but whatever it is, this whole job search process is draining me. Clearly, since this is entry is a little more Debbie Downer, a little less "rant." *Womp, womp.

Not that I'm going to let this keep me down, I'll be back up for another round, but at the moment I'm beaten down.

(For the record: the rhyming was unintentional, rapping is surely not one of my passions.)

1 comment:

  1. Awww... We've all been there. And, well, I wish I had something inspirational to say, but basically, it sucks. I remember working full-time and spending the evenings in my office writing for unpaid internet gigs.

    But don't give up! You just haven't found the job that's meant for you yet. And along the way you're gathering whatever inspiration and experience you need to to get there! :-)

    And in the meantime, what do you know about dance retail? hahahaa

    ReplyDelete