Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Eve

So this whole week I've been feeling fairly indifferent about the unofficial drinking holiday that is Thanksgiving Eve. As a former president of the Thanksgiving Eve Fan Club this came as a surprise to many of my friends and family. While I typically find it enjoyable to put on my most recently purchased "favorite outfit" and make strained small talk with people I haven't seen in months, if not longer, this year I'm just not up for it.

Come to think of it, I wasn't up for it last year either, which was why I went out of town and spent the with my sister and brother-in-law and all of his friends from High School. This was when I realized that while I may be "over" the whole tradition (at least until I have major news I'd like to share again like an awesome new job or getting engaged), it's actually a lot of fun to watch.

You see, Thanksgiving Eve in a town where you don't know anyone is kind of like sitting in a lawn chair by yourself in the infield at Preakness. There's this whole event going on around you that is basically an excuse for everyone involved to get drunk and you just take it all in, observing the action. While I have nothing invested in either situation, it still provides amusement. Now if I could only wear sunglasses to the bar so peole wouldn't know I was staring...

In light of my mood this year, I thought I'd share this article that my roommate forwarded to me yesterday; partially because it's relevant and but mostly because it made me laugh, as articles from The Onion so often do.

Speaking of my roommates, the girls and I will be hosting our own pre-game party and then going out on Bell Blvd. with people we speak to on a regular basis.

Andy Warhol once said, "I'm the type who'd be happy not going anywhere as long as I was sure I knew exactly what was happening at the places I wasn't going to. I'm the type who'd like to sit home and watch every party that I'm invited to on a monitor in my bedroom."

It is in light of this mentality that I suggested the following form of entertainment for this evening: A Facebook Thanksgiving Eve session where we pull up the profiles of all the people we know from High School, and would see if we went out in our hometown and then talked about after we talked to them, and share whatever gossip we have on them collectively.

Needless to say I think Andy would have been a big fan of FB, I can just see the pop-art profile pic now.

No comments:

Post a Comment